Random Mental Messes

Stories from my past and present... random musings often inspired by the radio... and a way to keep close with loved ones far away.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Loveland, CO

Just a gal, just a mom, just trying to make it through the night...


Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Game 5

Okay, I'm not a huge sports fan. And I tend to choose my team loyalty by geography rather than by anything significant like team and player records, wins v. losses, or anything else that your average sports-minded man can rattle off in his sleep. Of course, the whole geography thing really worked to my advantage in the late 80s, when my home teams were the SF 49ers (GO NINERS!) and the Oakland A's. Now... well... it's a mixed bag. (Texans, anyone?)

Anyone who follows baseball knows that the Astros lost last night Ninth inning, Cards came from behind with a three-run homer to win it 5-4. According to all the morning radio shows, there is a pall over the city. Me, I didn't watch the game. But I'm not too worried about it. Mark my words. We'll lose Game 6, too. But we'll win Game 7. It will probably be a hard win, a close game. Fans will be on the edge of their seats. But we'll win it. And it will be Roger's game. (Even if the Cards are managed by Tony LaRussa, who was the manager during the heyday of my beloved A's.)

Speaking of that... I do have to tell one little story that I love. Tenth grade, '88/'89 school year... I had long since discovered that once you establish a relationship as a good student and good kid, you can get away with things a little more. Our English teacher let me get away with a lot. That was also the year the A's and Giants were in the series. One day in class, as was the routine, while we were passing up our homework he asked if there was anyone who had not done the assignment. And for a change, I raised my hand. (I was the type to never skip a homework assignment, and I hadn't done it purposely, I had simply forgotten we even had one.) Looking shocked, he said, "Sara, you didn't do the homework?!?!" I looked him straight in the eye, shrugged my shoulders, and said, "The A's and the Giants are in the series - who can concentrate?" He eyed me with wary appraisal for a minute, then shrugged his own shoulders and said, "Can you hand it in tomorrow?" I thought for a minute, then agreed that since there wasn't a game that night, I could probably manage it. I handed in the assignment the next day, and received full credit.

1 Comments:

Blogger Spatchula said...

You were the person I was thinking of when I was watching the Astros game last night. I found myself thinking "what's Sarah thinking right now?". After the Pujols HR at the top of he 9th I knew what it was or had a ball park idea (and unfortuneatley I can't add it here but you can be assure it's rather colourful!).

Anyways, I thought I would stop by your blog and see what's going on. I like what I see hun and stop on by mine! (which I have been slacking off on badly!) I hope to talk with you on Yahoo soon and smile sweets! :)

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home