Random Mental Messes

Stories from my past and present... random musings often inspired by the radio... and a way to keep close with loved ones far away.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Loveland, CO

Just a gal, just a mom, just trying to make it through the night...


Sunday, October 30, 2005

Dancin' in the Moonlight

A song by, apparently, King Harvest. (Are they perhaps one of the many one-hit wonders that abound?) The same song that I heard as I was driving onto campus tonight, a post for my other blog already formulating in my mind. Good news, by the way, as it looks as though I will get a chance next spring to see a friend I haven't seen since high school, and one I'd long since lost touch with until recently. But I digress, as usual.

Back to the song. Dancing in the moonlight. Something I may never have done, and if I have it's been way too long. (In fact, it's been way too long since I've gone dancing, period. I need to do something about that.) So, in fact, is dancing in the rain. Though being late fall now, and this season still being quite warm in Texas, that might be a possibility. The only problem is, to go dancing in the rain really requires other people.

I could probably take my daughters out one weekend night, out to the park near their Meme's house, and dance in the rain. Of course, then I'd have to endure her calling me crazy and griping about it, and then the inevitable phone call later in the week to report sore throats and sniffles (whether or not they actually had them)... And besides, at least one of my daughters is enough of a princess, that she might enjoy it, or she might roll her eyes and have one more reason to think her mother's a little off her rocker. Yes, she is the child I call Poetic Justice - her sisters are Divine Retribution, and Karma.

My best friend would probably go dancing in the rain with me, if the two of us could ever experience the kind of harmonic convergence that is needed to spend any length of time together. Between work and family obligations for her, and work and school for me (she's "family" to my girls, and so could be worked in on that angle), and our own individual issues that eat away at our souls... well, we just can't seem to find the time. Though one of these nights, when things are a little quiet on my end, and it's raining, I will call her to come dance with me...

A man. Now, here's the kicker. There are men in my life I flirt with... men in my life I would have no problem going to the movies with, or dinner, or out for drinks, or any number of social-type things. One man, perhaps, that I trust and care about on the level that I could ask him to dance in the rain with me, dance in the moonlight... but for us, something like that can't be. There are other men with whom I sense that possibility, but it's not solid enough yet that I could ever approach them with it. It is, perhaps, an odd way to measure a boundary, and yet it works as well as anything would for me. My boundaries are like no one else's, I guess.

I have about 8 months left, 8 months of preparation and planning and getting my proverbial ducks in a row, before I make a major change in my life that I think is going to cure what's been more or less eleven to twelve years' worth of stress and strain. There's a line in a Tim McGraw song called "Grown Men Don't Cry." Country music, BTW, is much more than tears-in-my-beer music these days, but it still has its moments, and Tim has been good for a few of those over the years. Basically the line describes a boy clinging to his mother's leg, and she stands there with him, "years of bad decisions running down her face." Well, that's me in a nutshell, folks. They say the definition of insanity, is to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results. I think this time, I may have finally figured it out. I might be breaking the curse.

Keep me in your thoughts, I need all the well-wishes I can get to pull through the next eight months.

1 Comments:

Blogger Spatchula said...

You are always in my thoughts hun! But don't worry .. I'll be pulling for you and supporting you as always.

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home