Random Mental Messes

Stories from my past and present... random musings often inspired by the radio... and a way to keep close with loved ones far away.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Loveland, CO

Just a gal, just a mom, just trying to make it through the night...


Thursday, October 27, 2005

Best Ever

So last night on the radio, one of my favorite DJs intros a song by saying it's the best Don Henley song ever recorded. Then he plays "Sunset Grill." Granted, that's a good song, but I wouldn't call it the best ever. I guess more than a few people agreed, since I never did manage to get through on the phone, and he came back on the air afterward and said, "Argue if you will, but..."

Well, first of all (me having just come from my Research class where we learn to be very precise) my question is, what are the parameters? Are we talking about the best song ever recorded by Don Henley as a solo artist? The best he recorded with the Eagles? The best written or co-written by him, sung by the Eagles but not with him on lead? The best song written or co-written by him, sung by the Eagles with him on lead? The best song written or co-written by him, recorded solo? As you can tell, I spend way too much time thinking about Don Henley. And since I don't have any liner notes handy (and am too lazy to look for them online at the mo') I will just give a rundown of several of the best Henley songs ever, whether or not they were written or co-written by him, solo or Eagles.

Eagles:
Desperado - which is overdone, but for a reason, as it is SO good
Best of My Love
You Never Cry Like A Lover
Wasted Time
Hollywood Waltz
Witchy Woman
One of These Nights
Those Shoes
Hole in the World

Don, Solo:
Long Way Home
Talking to the Moon - makes me cry every time. Thanks, Bret.
Lilah
You're Not Drinking Enough
All She Wants To Do Is Dance
Land of the Living
How Bad Do You Want It?
The Last Worthless Evening
The Heart of the Matter
Annabel
Taking You Home
My Thanksgiving
Miss Ghost

Honorable Mention:
Leather & Lace (with Stevie Nicks)
Walkaway Joe - by Trisha Yearwood, with Don doing heartbreaking harmonies

If I had to pick just one... just one song that sums up the best of what he is and does... well, I really can't. But for the Eagles I'd say "Wasted Time," and solo I'd say "Talking to the Moon."

Maybe one of these days I will tell y'all which Eagles album is the best ever. Hint: not Hotel California!

1 Comments:

Blogger Spatchula said...

I LOVE "Sunset Grill" but my favourite Henley track is without a doubt "New York Minute".

The song is so depressing but it tells the story so beautifully.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home