Random Mental Messes

Stories from my past and present... random musings often inspired by the radio... and a way to keep close with loved ones far away.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Loveland, CO

Just a gal, just a mom, just trying to make it through the night...


Friday, October 21, 2005

There's A Moon Out Tonight

Strolling onto campus late last night (it is now officially early this morning) I looked up and saw the waning moon. It reminded me immediately of a few nights ago when the it was full, because on the way to dinner with a friend he had pointed out the most lovely harvest moon. Unbidden, the verses came to my mind:

There's a moon out tonight, wah wah wah ooh, let's go strollin',
There's a girl in my heart, wah wah wah ooh, who's heart I've stolen...

Yes, I, the classic rock lover, am hearing in my head some good old-fashioned 50s and 60s do-wop.

You've got to hand it to those guys. Their lyrics are downright banal by today's standards, yet somehow in the way they sang them, they sounded so lovely. Like this one, for example:

Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain, telling me just what a fool I've been,
I wish that it would go and let me cry in vain, and let me be alone again,
The only girl I care about has gone away looking for a brand new start,
But little did she know that when she left that day, along with her she took my heart...

Or the one I used to use as a lullaby for my daughters:

Earth angel, earth angel, the one I adore,
Love you forever, and evermore,
I'm just a fool, a fool in love with you...

There are probably a dozen others that I know all the words to, if I dig deep enough. For now, though, I will finally head off to bed, serenading myself with another old favorite:

You don't remember me, but I remember you,
'Twas not so long ago you broke my heart in two,
Tears on my pillow, pain in my heart caused by you...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home